“The first step toward creating an improved future is developing the ability to envision it. VISION will ignite the fire of passion that fuels our commitment to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to achieve excellence. Only VISION allows us to transform dreams of greatness into the reality of achievement through human action. VISION has no boundaries and knows no limits. Our VISION is what we become in life. ”
** Tony Dungy
Your personal vision is the roadmap, the guideline, for you to develop your best self you can.
Think about what the best people in any profession do. They develop an extremely detailed personal vision of what they want to accomplish. Some even can visualize step by step how they will ultimately achieve what they set out to accomplish.
Having a personal vision will allow you to commit to that which you want to achieve. And in order to go through all you will have to go through in reaching the goal you set, you must have commitment.
A Harvard study done years ago showed that only about 3% of their students wrote down their goals. The other 97% did not. After graduation that 3% made more money than the other 97% combined.
That clearly shows the necessity of writing down your personal vision and the goals you set to see it come true.
Why is it hard to set goals?
One reason is because people haven’t thought clearly about what they want in life. How they see themselves. What they want to accomplish. Most people simply drift through life, living up to someone else’s expectations for them.
Another reason it’s hard to set goals is that then you are forced to “put up or shut up”. Many people don’t want to make a commitment to something, because then they’re required to make the sacrifices that are called for to reach that something.
Self doubt is another reason it’s hard to set goals. You don’t think you can do it. Whatever ‘it’ is. Maybe you think you’re not good enough, don’t have enough skills, don’t know the right people. Or maybe you wonder what others will think of you if you set goals toward something. Will they laugh? Some will. Those who don’t have the courage to try what you’re trying.
Maybe you think you’ll fail. That’s a possibility. But failure is just the opportunity to start over.
Developing a personal vision is like making a budget. It allows you to allocate certain strengths and abilities in the areas you need them in order to accomplish your goals. It helps you re-focus when you might get off course.
A personal vision also helps you get past the multitude of distractions, diversions, and demands in your life. There will always be someone or something striving to take more of your time and effort than you want to give. Your personal vision will help you know when to say no.
Do you want help in developing the self-discipline you need to set and stay with your personal vision? Shifu Raymond Ahles at Blue Dragon School of Martial Arts is ready and able to help you in learning self-discipline and any other skills you want in martial arts. He will monitor your training and sparring and make suggestions when he sees some area in which you may be lacking. Contact him at 201-385-3130 today and get started or started again!